Monday 10 June 2013

A Myriad of Quilting Marvels

On Sunday my mum and I took a brief trip out to a local quilting show in the village of Wing, to get some inspiration and just to see what was going on really. We were both quite surprised to be greeted with such a wealth of talent. You can read about the Wing quilting group here in the Rutland Times, but neither this article, nor the attached photo do the ladies justice. Every pew was draped with a large, brightly coloured and beautifully crafted quilts. It made me feel a bit embarrassed about mine, but everyone was nothing but supportive.






In the village hall there were a variety of stalls selling fabrics, knitted goods and other oddities. We chatted to a lady called Jenny, who runs quilting classes and sells fabrics (here is her website). She advised me on what wadding I should use in my quilt - 80% cotton and 20% polyester, to keep the softness but allow it to go through the wash. Apparently the only brand you should buy is Hobbs. Unfortunately this wadding is quite thin, not quite what I wanted to keep me warm on those chilly nights up in Edinburgh, and too expensive to double up, at £12.50 a metre. I'll have to investigate if Hobbs make any thicker wadding, or just follow the expert's advice. From Jenny I also bought some fabric that I would like to use for the border and binding of my quilt. It is from a collection called Prairie Home by Two Friends, Jenny only had a metre but I will see if I can find anymore online or take a visit to Jenny's workshop.

The whole event was in memory of the former teacher of the group Alison Maudlin and in aid of the Rutland Stroke Club. I won a lovely handmade cushion in the cushion tombola, and the ladies were also raffling a quilt that they had all helped to make. 




My spoils of the day - My appliqued and hand quilted cushion (I really lucked out with this one) and the fabric I am hoping to use as binding for my own quilt.


Along the same lines I also wanted to share a quilt I completely fell in love with on a trip to one of Stamford's many antique shops yesterday. It was reversible with pink paisley on one side and blue on the other and it was gorgeously thick and heavy. Unfortunately I don't have £199 to spend. We can dream (or make our own).


2 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW. I'm always amazed by such lovely work. That quilted cushion is beautiful!

    http://naomemandeflores.com/en

    ReplyDelete